Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: School dismissing at 12:30 today

  1. #11
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    My brother came home today early and I was wondering what happened..

    The awesome Wise County school system in action!
    Officially retired

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    I've heard that argument too, but I don't really understand the logic (or lack thereof) being used. What is the Big Woop if they don't close out the semester before Christmas break? We never used to and I don't remember anyone dying from it. If you look at the published school calendar, baring any snow day cancellations (I know thats very unlikely, BUT) the last day of school with students attending would be May 19th....WHAT??!!!! What is so wrong with going a week or two into June like we used to do? We started about the third week of August and school ended around the first week or so of June and we never heard anything about problems with it being "too hot". I know its been stifling in the classrooms this year, but wouldn't that be a prime reason for starting a little later. I mean a couple weeks could make a big difference in the temperatures since they do tend to start going back down by the first of September.

    And, another thing about this school calendar......why is the Christmas break SOOOOO LOOONNNNGGGG. Exams (1/2 days) on Dec. 19th & 20th and then no school for students until the 7th, yes 7th, of January. There's more breaks in this schedule than an entire box of peanut brittle. Can I get an Amen from the choir??!!! I urge everyone to take the time to check out the schedule presented on the WCS website. Its down right upsetting to me.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  3. #13
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    Used to, (before politicians started dabbling into what made up a class, hours required for said class, and the score that each student would achieve in that class) it didn't matter how long your semesters were. Most often the 1st semester would be shorter than the second. The schools could trim 3 days off the 1st and ad em to the second. Now the state mandates a set number of hours for each class...so that is impossible. Another example of when politicians attack.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  4. #14
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    They also miss for Columbus Day, MLK, Jr. Day, etc. I would support starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, losing a few off days that are currently scheduled, and finishing up in mid-June.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also miss for Columbus Day, MLK, Jr. Day, etc. I would support starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, losing a few off days that are currently scheduled, and finishing up in mid-June.</div></div>

    Days that, until not too long ago, were still school days.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member imported_Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2006
    Posts
    1,245
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    it's all about political correctness.
    [img]http://www.usersigs.com/site/./data/media/14/581140986869_2.png[/img]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    But of course.
    Can't have it any other way now can we.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also miss for Columbus Day, MLK, Jr. Day, etc. I would support starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, losing a few off days that are currently scheduled, and finishing up in mid-June.</div></div>

    Days that, until not too long ago, were still school days. </div></div>

    Still are in Scott Co.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also miss for Columbus Day, MLK, Jr. Day, etc. I would support starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, losing a few off days that are currently scheduled, and finishing up in mid-June.</div></div>

    Days that, until not too long ago, were still school days. </div></div>

    Yes, they were. Another example of more and more breaks being added to the school year resulting in the administration thinking they need to keep starting earlier each year. I mean if they want to go year around, there are better ways of implementing it in the open than by pure happenstance and reasons 'beyond their control'.
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  10. #20
    Inactive Member plantsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: School dismissing at 12:30 today

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Merlin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also miss for Columbus Day, MLK, Jr. Day, etc. I would support starting the Tuesday after Labor Day, losing a few off days that are currently scheduled, and finishing up in mid-June.</div></div>

    Days that, until not too long ago, were still school days. </div></div>

    Yes, they were. Another example of more and more breaks being added to the school year resulting in the administration thinking they need to keep starting earlier each year. I mean if they want to go year around, there are better ways of implementing it in the open than by pure happenstance and reasons 'beyond their control'. </div></div>

    Parkinson's law states that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." Maybe the admins should heed this one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •